NASCAR Bans Confederate Flag at events and properties
NASCAR announced Thursday that it is banning the Confederate Flag from all its events and properties.
In a statement the organization said, "The presence of the confederate flag at NASCAR events runs contrary to our commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for all fans, our competitors and our industry. Bringing people together around a love for racing and the community that it creates is what makes our fans and sport special. The display of the confederate flag will be prohibited from all NASCAR events and properties.”
NASCAR has been under pressure for the last several years to ban the flag that has been seen flying on RVs inside of its infields at racetracks for years.
The move is made days after Bubba Wallace, the circuits only African-American driver, called for the flag's removal from events. He told CNN earlier this week, "No one should feel uncomfortable when they come to a NASCAR race. So it starts with Confederate flags. Get them out of here. They have no place for them."
The backlash to the move was almost instant with longtime fans taking to social media to say they were done supporting NASCAR due to the move.